To help youth understand that if we put our faith in Jesus we can overcome our fears
Go around the room and have everyone share one high point (best thing) and one low point (worst thing) about this past week
would you rather go cliff diving or sky diving? why did you pick one over the other?
was there ever something you wanted to do but didn’t do it because of fear?
sometimes in our lives, we will be asked to do something that is to better ourselves but then fear will sneak into our situations and we will begin to sink but thankfully all we have to do is ask God for a lifeline
- has there been a time where fear has brought you down and caused you to sink? what did that look like? how did you overcome that situation?
- why do you think we often struggle with trusting God with our circumstances and our situations?
In Ben’s talk, he talked about how God asked him to take a leap of faith even though it was terrifying and meant doing something that made him feel uncomfortable. But Jesus promised that he had something for him if he just took that single leap and put his faith in him
- Do you agree with what Ben is saying about how our life can look different if we put our faith in God?
- what does it look like to put our faith in something completely?
- what is holding us back from trusting God with everything in our lives?
Read Matthew 14:28-33
Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.” “Yes, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted. Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?” When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped. Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed.
- What stood out to you in this passage? Do you agree with what the author is saying here?
- What do you think the author is trying to say about Overcoming the world around us?
- How would your life be different if you truly believed what the author is saying?
ACT IT OUT:
This week all we want you to do is if you have a moment of temptation is to stop and remember that the promises God has for you are better than the satisfaction of temptation
Ask your group/child if there are any prayer requests or praise reports that they would like to share. Take a moment and pray over all the requests.