To help youth understand the importance of being intentionally in all of their relationships from their significant others, friends and family.
Go around the room and have everyone share one high point (best thing) and one low point (worst thing) about this past week
If you had all the money in the world what is one thing that you would intentionally go after and buy?
Have you ever wanted something really badly? What did that look like? Why was that thing so important?
How do you think honesty and lies play into how we love? And how do we experience love?
- What do you think is the purpose of being honest in our relationships?
- What do you think it means to fully trust someone?
- In your relationships what would it look like if you completely trusted someone?
If you had someone in your life a boyfriend/girlfriend BFF or sibling who wasn’t completely honest with you would you have trouble being completely honest with them?
In his talk Scott talks about how fear can be something that holds us back from being truthful and honest in our relationships.
- Do you agree with what Scott is saying? Is being honest and truthful important to relationships?
- What are some fears that typically hold people back from loving intentionally?
- How would you feel if your significant other was never honest/truthful with you?
Read 1 John 4:18 “Love never brings fear, for fear is always related to punishment. But love’s perfection drives the fear of punishment far from our hearts. Whoever walks constantly afraid of punishment has not reached love’s perfection.”
- What stood out to you in this passage?
- What do you think the author is trying to communicate about love?
What do you think it means to love intentionally?
In your opinion can you be not completely honest with someone and still love them?
What can you do to be better at loving intentionally?
ACT IT OUT:
Relationships of any kind can be hard – whether it’s boyfriend/girlfriends, friends, or family, often fear can prevent you from loving intentionally, but being intentional in love is crucial to a relationship.
This week we want to encourage you to do this one thing:
- If you are dating someone take some time to ask yourself, are they being honest with me? Am I being honest with them? Am I loving intentionally?
Ask your group/child if there are any prayer requests or praise reports that they would like to share. Take a moment and pray over all the requests.