To remind youth of the importance to stand up for what is right, even when it’s hard
Go around the room and have everyone share one high point (best thing) and one low point (worst thing) about their week
If you won a prize and had the option to either receive $1,000 or have $1,000,000 donated to a charity, which would you choose? What made you choose that option?
What if it you could win $1,000 or have your best friend win $10,000 – would that change your answer? Why or why not?
What did you think about the story of David & how he took on Goliath?
- If you were David, would you have been scared to take on Goliath? Would you have done it?
During his message, Darien constantly said that taking down Goliath was the right thing to do. Do you agree? What makes you think it was right (or wrong) to kill Goliath?
Have you ever tried to do the right thing (ex. Stand up to a bully, help a person in need)? If so, how did it go? If not, what stopped you from doing the right thing?
- Do you think it’s easy (or hard) to do the right thing? What makes it easy/hard?
During his talk, Darien said “All too often it’s easy for us to give in to fear & avoid doing what is right – because what is right is often scary”
- Do you agree with that? Do you find that doing the right thing can be scary?
- What makes doing the right thing scary?
In 1 Samuel 17; we find David talking about how Goliath needs to die – and when his brother accuses him of wanting to kill Goliath for fame & fortune, he simply turns and walks away.
- What do you think about David’s reaction to his brothers accusations?
- Do you find it easy (or hard) to walk away when people unfairly criticize you? What makes it easy or hard?
- Think back – have you ever simply walked away when someone falsely accused you of something or judged you about something? If so, how did that feel?
Read 2 Corinthians 10:4 – “The world doesn’t fight fair. But we don’t live or fight our battles that way – never have and never will. The tools of our trade aren’t for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing demonic strongholds and massively corrupt cultures”
- What do you think the author is saying with this verse? If this verse is accurate, how powerful are our weapons compared to the weapons of this world?
- With this verse in mind (and the fact Darien shared of how powerful slingers actually were), who do you think had the upper hand in the David vs. Goliath fight?
In your opinion, how important is it to stand up for what is right, even when it’s hard, or scary? What makes it important or unimportant?
ACT IT OUT:
Unfortunately, people all around us are struggling with all kinds of difficult things – bullying, divorce, illness, lack of money & supplies, etc – and the reality is that God calls each of us to do the right thing & help people in need.
This week, we want to encourage you all to pay attention to the people around you who are hurting; and to try and do something to help them – whether it is pray for them, give them money, or stand up for them when they’re being picked on.
Ask your group/child if there are any prayer requests or praise reports that they would like to share. Take a moment and pray over all the requests.