To show youth that God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things
Go around the room and have everyone share one high point (best thing) and one low point (worst thing) about their week
If you had the opportunity to go on a vacation to your favorite place in the world, where would you go? Would you plan out your whole trip (detail by detail), or just show up and wing it?
What did you think about the story of Joshua and how he listened to God’s plan, marching around the walls of Jericho?
- If you were Joshua, would you have listened to God’s plan of marching around the city & then shouting, or would you have ignored it and did your own thing?
Have you ever started doing something, only to realize it was way harder than you expected? What happened, and what did you do? What made you do what you did?
- If you were Israel and the first obstacle to getting control of this amazing land was to take down Jericho, do you think you would want to give up, or try and capture the city?
During his talk, Darien said “What looked like a bad plan, somehow worked out – all because Joshua & his men chose to trust God even when it didn’t make sense”
- Why do you think God asked Joshua to follow such a stupid plan? Why didn’t God just cause the walls to collapse without making Israel march around the walls?
- Do you find it hard to trust God when it doesn’t make sense? What makes this difficult?
- In your opinion, why does God ask us to trust him even when it doesn’t make sense?
When life is hard and you are dealing with tough situations, what is your immediate reaction to the problems? Is it to cry, get depressed, get mad, shutdown, or to turn to God?
- When facing problems – do you find it easy or hard to listen to God? Do you find it easy or hard to trust God? What makes this easy or hard?
During his talk, Darien said “‘Not one promise from God is empty of power, for nothing is impossible with God’ which means that when we choose to trust God, even when it doesn’t make sense, He will always come through for us!”
- Do you agree with what Darien is saying here? What makes you agree or disagree?
- Do you believe God will come through for you, no matter what is going on in your life? What makes you believe the way you do?
ACT IT OUT:
Unfortunately, life can often be difficult and we can be stuck facing extremely hard problems or decisions. When that happens, it can be very difficult to listen to God and to trust him – but the reality is that when we trust God, even when it doesn’t make sense, He will come through for us.
This week, we want to encourage you all to memorize Luke 1:37 which says “Not one promise from God is empty of power, for nothing is impossible with God”. Whenever you feel overwhelmed or that God has abandoned you, we want to encourage you to remember this verse, and remember that God is there for you, he will protect you, and if you trust him – he will come through for you no matter what!
Ask your group/child if there are any prayer requests or praise reports that they would like to share. Take a moment and pray over all the requests.