Go around the room and have everyone share one high point (best thing) and one low point (worst thing) about their week
Would you rather live on a boat with all your friends in a violent storm, or live on a desert island alone for the rest of your life?
If you had to pick three animals to save from a massive flood, which ones would you pick?
What did you think about the story of Noah & building the ark? If God came to you and told you to build a big boat because a massive flood was coming, would you believe him? Would you do it?
How do you think Noah felt, building a boat far away from water for a flood that wasn’t here yet? Do you think people made fun of him for it?
- Do you find it hard to deal with people making fun of you? What makes that easy/difficult for you?
- Is it okay to stand up for what you believe in, even when people make fun of you? Are there any people in your life (friends, parents, etc) who do a good job of ignoring bullies
During his message, Darien said “Sometimes in life, you may feel as though all these bad stressful things are happening to you & that God hates you because of it… but He is actually helping you prepare for the incredible things that are coming up next in your life”
- Do you agree with what Darien is saying here (about God using bad things to make better things)? What makes you agree or disagree?
- Why do you think God allows bad things to happen to us?
Do you believe that God is a good dad who loves & protects his children? What makes you believe the way you do?
- Why would a good dad send a flood that would kill so many people? (PLEASE NOTE: this is a tough question! It’s okay to not have the answer here)
- During his message, Darien said that God sent the flood because he wanted to protect his kids – and the way to do that was to restart. (Quote: “Sometimes when you love somebody you gotta do the hard things to protect them from themselves”)
- What do you think about what Darien said? Do you agree or disagree?
ACT IT OUT:
So often in life, we are faced with tough situations & problems that can make us feel like God isn’t real, or that he hates us. That’s normal! The reality however is that God is our loving dad – he always loves us, and he is always protecting his children.
This week, if you are struggling with anything (school work, bullies, anxiety, problems with siblings – anything), we want to encourage you to be honest with someone about it (whether it’s one of our leaders, your parents, a friend, etc), and ask them to pray with you about it. Pray that God would reveal himself to you in this situation.
Ask your group/child if there are any prayer requests or praise reports that they would like to share. Take a moment and pray over all the requests.