To remind youth of the power of worshipping God even when it’s scary or hard
Go around the room and have everyone share one high point (best thing) and one low point (worst thing) about their week
If you were forced to sell everything you own and were only able to keep one of your possessions, what would you choose to keep?
Would you rather keep that thing & be thrown in jail for having it, or give it up to avoid being arrested? What made you choose what you did?
What did you think about the story of Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego and how they refused to worship an idol, even when threatened with a brutal death?
If you were one of those three guys, would you have chosen to keep worshipping God, or would you have caved and worshipped the idol?
- How difficult of a decision would that be for you to make?
On a scale of 1-10 (1 being easy & 10 being hard), how difficult do you find it to remain calm when dealing with stressful situations? What makes that easy/hard?
- On a scale of 1-10, how difficult do you find it to worship God when dealing with stressful situations? What makes that easy/hard?
Read Daniel 3:17 – “If our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the flaming furnace and out of your hand, O King, let him deliver us. But if not, be it known to you, O King, that we will not serve your gods and we will not worship the golden statue that you have set up”
- What do you think of the guys response to King Neb’s threat to kill them? Would you have had the guts to say that to a king who wants to kill you?
- In your opinion, why were they so confident & willing to worship God, even when facing certain death?
- Do you find it easy or hard to have that kind of faith in God when facing hard circumstances?
During her talk, Kim said “The challenge for us is to have the faith to trust that God will see us through, no matter how overwhelming or impossible our circumstances may seem – to have faith to worship God despite what you may be facing”
- Why do you think Kim places such importance on worshipping God despite what you may be facing?
- Do you find it easy or hard to worship when you are dealing with an overwhelming or impossible situation? What makes it easy/hard?
Later, Kim said “God will meet you in the middle of those flames, but you have to be willing to worship & praise him – even if it means losing everything.”
- Do you agree with what Kim is saying here, about the importance of worshipping God, even if it means losing everything?
- Would you worship God even if that meant losing everything? Why or why not?
In your opinion, how important is it to worship God despite problems or stresses you may be facing? Why or why not?
ACT IT OUT:
Life can often be very difficult, with all kinds of unexpected problems & stresses coming up that make it really difficult to trust God, nevertheless worship him. But the reality is that even when we are facing difficult things, God is always with us – and he wants to help us through those circumstances; but sometimes we have to be willing to let him.
This week, we want to encourage you this week to read through Psalms 23 and take some time to memorize verse 4 (“Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil – for you are with me”). Then, whenever you feel overwhelmed or stressed, take some time to remind yourself of that verse & to take time to worship God – even if you don’t feel like it.
Ask your group/child if there are any prayer requests or praise reports that they would like to share. Take a moment and pray over all the requests.